Posted to alt.home.repair
chaniarts[_3_] chaniarts[_3_] is offline

Default Painting Front Door/New Door Lockset

On 5/14/2012 2:19 PM, Kate wrote:
Help! I don't know where to start.

The previous owners have at least three coats of paint on my front door.
From the elements, the paint has hair line cracks in it.
Can a professional painter sand and repaint, or paint over it?
I know you cannot tell me without probably seeing the door.
I hate to get a new door as it is in great shape otherwise.

Also, the door handle and dead bolt is corroded from the elements.
Does anyone have a Baldwin lockset and if so, is it really guaranteed to
last as advertised?

If I get a new handle and deadbolt, will it fit the old holes, or is it
best to let a locksmith order the set and install it?

Finally, should I get the new lockset installed first? My thinking is if
I need to have the painter patch an old hole, I would want to paint
after the lockset is installed.

Sorry for all of the questions, but I am really confused as how to
tackle this project.

Many thanks.

Kate

i have a baldwin lockset. it's a large step up from the standard
kwikset. it's lasted 12 years in the phx sun (door faces south) without
trouble or discoloration.

it would help a lot to have a lockset fit the same holes and pattern.
there are many different kinds, but most locksets can be had with a knob
or lever. you can have a latch (with or without key) and a seperate
deadbolt. you don't say what you have and haven't provided any pictures
anywhere so we can't tell.

the cover plate around the lockset may be a different size. it's
unlikely that the hole will be a different size, but there are different
offsets, so you need to get the same ones. filling the hole is
difficult, and easier to replace the door at that point.

yes, you'll want to have the lockset in hand. the painter can strip the
old door, finish it, and then you'll want to have the new lockset installed.