Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike S. Mike S. is offline

Default OT? Do I need old bands on my cell phone if I'm using only basic services.

In article ,
micky wrote:

Is there a still active** newsgroup where cell phones are on topic?

If not, let me tell you all that I'm confused about the topic: I see
4-band GSM phones for sale, with these bands: GSM 850/900/1800/1900
(Quadband)

But there are also 2-band phones, which have only iiuc the USA 3G
frequencies, 850./ 1900.

The bands they don't have, 800 and 1800, were used in 2G phones.

"800" is really 850. Same thing.

Perhaps you mean 900 and 1800. Neither of these bands were EVER used for
cellular in the USA, 1G, 2g, any-G.

Since I'm only getting basic (2G?) service, no internet, do I need
these frequencies that were originallly used by 2G phones?

The only frequencies you need for voice coverage in the US are 850/1900.
But basic GSM is being phased out by AT&T in some cities to devote more
"slots" to 3G. It is retained for international roamers, but you might
find no service for a few minutes when entering a congested area.