Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Can a Little Giant pool cover pump be repaired? - major progress

On 5/13/2012 5:14 PM, Peabody wrote:
I wanted to report that I have successfully completed the repair of
the pump. I ended up soldering the splices instead of using butt
connectors. My 30-watt iron worked fine. I used shrink tubing
just to prevent shorting, not really for waterproofing, which I
wouldn't want to depend on anyway.

Good...

Then I wrapped the cord around the pump handle three turns, and
secured it in place with some 14-gauge solid wire so the cord isn't
going to move at all from here on out. Then I just encased the
whole splice area with silicone. Here are the pics:

Not so much on the cord around the handle bit imo. I think that's a new
failure mode waiting to happen w/ time, aging and heat.

I'd _STILL_ unwrap it and use a proper strain relief hold down of some
sort fastened to the handle.

Check on how warm that area gets when the pump has been operating for an
extended period.