Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Followup on the Darex E-90

fired this volley in
:

I haven't been overly successful at gashing the ends for center
cutting. If you master that, you'll have to let us know how you do
it.

The general consensus is that the E90 is not designed to gash the ends,
but I am pursuing references right now that it is not only possible, but
easy.

If I figure it out, I will post it, and supply the reference info.

I do know the E90 does a really sweet job on both the flutes and the ends
of a regular HSS milling cutter with the stone I got with it.

I'm just guessing, but I figure the Al2O3 wheel on it is about 80-grit.
It's NOT a fine wheel. It's the "fine touch" (which I'm also working on)
that does the job.

If you refer to other finish-grinding operations, one thing becomes
clear: It's not so much the grit, but the feed, and depth of cut, and
lubrication that makes for a smooth surface.

(which brings up another point about the E90; it's a dry-cut machine,
which, with some fiddling, might also be altered, if it's necessary.)

LLoyd