Posted to rec.woodworking
tiredofspam tiredofspam is offline

Default Pour spout for gal cans

I can't do the angle, since each can registers in a different position.

I already tested that when I built it by marking the top that I used and
testing it.

So it is very generic. BTW each can of Alky can be different too.

On 5/12/2012 8:58 AM, dpb wrote:
On 5/11/2012 8:47 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
I made a pour spout years ago. It's worked great , but it has a few
issues. The seal to the cap can leak. and the cardboard/foil gasket kept
falling out.

Besides the gasket (which should be pretty simple to make), seems like
it would be much easier to pour accurately with if the spout had a
angle--like either bend it or stick a 45 on there...

But, a nice idea; hadn't thought of modifying one so...

I still have a bunch of old metal 5-gal oil cans (in which used to get
hydraulic oil primarily) w/ the formed in pouring spout and the double
lid on the spout w/ a 1/2" and a 1-1/2" opening depending on which is
removed. They've become priceless w/ the demise of a working gas can w/o
all the foolishness of the new spouts.

But the old small transfer plastic containers that have used for the
small engines where the 5-gal is bulky to get to has split the plastic
spout and gotten brittle. Just might have to follow your lead and make
myself one of these to replace it. The only real disadvantage I see is
the taller profile makes them a little more tip-easy and the other cans
have larger opening for filling them--not sure my regular funnel that
I've used will fit that opening but those are pretty minor problems to
deal with.

Good idea... +1