Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Pour spout for gal cans

On 12 May 2012 11:09:47 GMT, Han wrote:

tiredofspam nospam.nospam.com wrote in
:

I made a pour spout years ago. It's worked great , but it has a few
issues. The seal to the cap can leak. and the cardboard/foil gasket
kept falling out.

When it fell out last time I lost it.. I tried to replace it with an o
ring but none fit. So I went through my plumbing stuff and again
nothing fit. So I made a gasket from a seal that was too large. I cut
it in half to thin it, and also slit it to fit in. Sometimes it works
and sometimes not...

I am no good at making a gasket with permatex, only gaskets that you
compress in a bolt down...

Do any of you know of a solution short of going back to a
cardboard/foil gasket?

Image he http://i.imgur.com/snX1Y.jpg

It allows me to pour alky and spirits without a funnel.

It really isn't too difficult to pour from a can such as in the picture
without spilling. The trick is to keep the opening at the highest point
of the can. Of course with delirium tremens all bets are off ...

Indubitably, my dear Han.

I found a gallon gas can with a flexible rubberesque spout decades
ago. I just lost the can it went on, so I wonder if it would work on
my solvent cans... It has about a 5/8" ID and is 8 inches long, so it
fills everything without spilling a drop.

--
In an industrial society which confuses work and productivity, the
necessity of producing has always been an enemy of the desire to create.