Posted to uk.d-i-y
Newshound Newshound is offline

Default lead acid battery issue

On 10/05/2012 21:03, Tim Lamb wrote:
Newish car battery employed to power pony field electric fence. Likely
to have been left connected well beyond the fully discharged state and
possibly exposed to overnight frost.

Won't take a charge! Yes, I know, throw it away. However, horse person
has gone off with my sound spare. Is *over* discharging an issue? or...?

regards

Provided you don't overheat it and keep it topped up, an extended charge
at a few amps might recover it, although I wouldn't be that hopeful.

It is *really* worth using leisure (deep discharge)rather than car
batteries for electric fencers. It just isn't worth the trouble trying
to manage with ex-car batteries, in my experience.