Posted to alt.home.repair
WW[_2_] WW[_2_] is offline

Default Hmmmm I wonder why the ends of drywall aren't tapered also?

wrote in message
On Thu, 10 May 2012 00:31:17 -0500, Mike Paulsen
wrote:

Mostly because of how drywall is traditionally produced -- a continuous
sheet that's chopped to length.

You mean that if I built a castle with 100 foot tall walls, I could just
tell the company to cut the continuous sheet at 100 foot intervals?

And just think of those huge ceilings in warehouses. If the warehouse
ceiling is 40 ft. X 180 ft. I'd only need 10 sheets of 180 ft long
drywall.

Then again, why not just have a portable drywall making machine that you
bring on the job and custom make the drywall sheets to just fit the
room. One sheet for each wall, and another one for the ceiling. All
one piece sheets. That would eliminate all that nasty taping joints.
Just mud the 4 corners and around the ceiling edges.

Better yet, how about liquid drywall, or rolls of dehydrated drywall,
where you just unroll what looks like paper, apply it to the wall
framing with two sided tape, and spray it with water. The water makes
the paper thicken to 1/2". Then allow it to dry for an hour, and the
whole room is finished.

Actually there may come a time when drywall comes in bags. You'll cover
the wall with wooden laths, then you'll mix the bags of drywall powder
with water in an electric mixer, and then you will apply the drywall
with a trowel. That would be a huge advancement in technology!!!
Just think, no taping joints!

Where have you been? Thats the way it used to be done. It was called
PLASTER. ww