Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Windows -- why vinyl?

On Wed, 9 May 2012 17:52:52 +0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

John Albert wrote:
Hello all...

I've got an old house, built in 1911. It still has the original windows.

I'm having the roof replaced, and the guy who's going to do it does windows/siding as well.

Like everyone else I've talked to, he offered vinyl replacement windows.

My question is:
Why always vinyl for windows?

I've looked around at them, and have never been impressed by their
construction or quality. They just look "cheap" to me.

What makes them better?
Or -- is it just about "cheaper"?

If I was going to have the windows done, I'd probably want something like
Pella "450" series -- that is, basic wooden windows with aluminum
cladding on the outer surfaces.

The wooden windows in this house are old, and yes, in need of
replacement. But somehow they lasted 100 years. Will vinyl replacements
have similar longevity?

They do have fiberglass models. Also, the aluminum separators in some
glass, use steel instead, for better thermal break. I have gone through
lesser quality model vinyl's to better ones, and the price differential was
not that much. Some installers use more expensive brands, but I don't know
if they are worth it.

Greg

The difference between crap and good is very small, cost-wize. From
good to very good a bit more, and from very good to crazy
over-the-top-fantastic is HUGE. And in many cases you pay for the
"perception".. You need to know what you are paying for. Anything
using Rehau extrusions is a quality window.