Posted to alt.home.repair
chaniarts[_3_] chaniarts[_3_] is offline

Default I think I ruined a section of my pool with muriatic acid (drat)

On 5/8/2012 8:03 PM, Arklin K. wrote:
Bad news!

I may have ruined a small section of the wall of my pool (I'm not sure).

I first chipped off the encrusted (calcium?) sandpaper coating off the
stainless steel bezel as shown below:
http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8217918.jpg

Then I dropped it into the clear 29% muriatic acid - it immediately
bubbled and turned yellow:
http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8217915.jpg

Assuming therefore the sandpapery coating was calcium, I ran a 5:1 test
on a small section of wall for about 30 seconds:
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8217916.jpg

The results were smooth - but - gray (and definitely not blue!
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8217917.jpg

Is this what is 'supposed' to happen?

i told you yesterday pools are shot gunite (gray) with a very thin skim
layer of plaster (usually white) on top.

that could be either paint under the white film, or you ate all the
plaster off and are into the gunite.