Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Windows -- why vinyl?

John Albert wrote:
-snip-
got an old house, built in 1911. It still has the
original windows.

If you lived in the northeast you could pay for a new set of windows
of almost any description in a few years.

I'm having the roof replaced, and the guy who's going to do
it does windows/siding as well.

Like everyone else I've talked to, he offered vinyl
replacement windows.

There are vinyl *replacement* windows and vinyl windows for 'new
construction'. I don't like the looks of the replacement style
and have finally finished replacing all the windows in my 100 yr old
house over the past 25 years. All were 'new construction' windows.
More work, but a lot more flexible. Only 4-5 windows are anywhere
near the size of original windows.

My question is:
Why always vinyl for windows?

I've looked around at them, and have never been impressed by
their construction or quality. They just look "cheap" to me.

What makes them better?
Or -- is it just about "cheaper"?

For replacement windows, I think *cheap* is the goal.

If I was going to have the windows done, I'd probably want
something like Pella "450" series -- that is, basic wooden
windows with aluminum cladding on the outer surfaces.

The wooden windows in this house are old, and yes, in need
of replacement. But somehow they lasted 100 years. Will
vinyl replacements have similar longevity?

Probably not, but depending on where you live, they might pay for
themselves in a couple years and be 'making you money' after that.

Jim