Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen[_2_] Dan Espen[_2_] is offline

Default Windows -- why vinyl?

John Albert writes:

Hello all...

I've got an old house, built in 1911. It still has the original
windows.

I'm having the roof replaced, and the guy who's going to do it does
windows/siding as well.

Like everyone else I've talked to, he offered vinyl replacement
windows.

My question is:
Why always vinyl for windows?

I've looked around at them, and have never been impressed by their
construction or quality. They just look "cheap" to me.

What makes them better?
Or -- is it just about "cheaper"?

If I was going to have the windows done, I'd probably want something
like Pella "450" series -- that is, basic wooden windows with aluminum
cladding on the outer surfaces.

The wooden windows in this house are old, and yes, in need of
replacement. But somehow they lasted 100 years. Will vinyl
replacements have similar longevity?

Vinyl never needs painting. Insulates better.
Not sure if they'll last more than 100 years, but
they don't show any signs of degrading...so far.

--
Dan Espen