Johanna Johanna is offline
Junior Member

Default Kitchen electrics

Hi

I hope that someone can advise me. We’ve just pulled out a kitchen which was 29 years old and having had a few electricians come in are really none the wiser! We need to move some sockets around, move the point for the oven and change the lighting system from a normal light fitting to LED spots.

The issues that we have are some of the plugs are on old black rubber system which we know needs to be changed and the lighting system is unearthed.

Some of the electricians are telling us that we can pick up the old oven power supply and run new cables to the new position using the old cable which is almost 30 years old but not on the black rubber ring. Others are telling us that we should tie off and make everything good and run afresh from the board.

Additionally, on the board only half of the trips are covered with the RCD. We have been advised that this is fine as is, but others have said that we need to replace the board entirely and others we should add individual RCBO trips to each section.

As you can see we’re getting very conflicting advice and whilst I’m still waiting on all quotes coming in the two that I have range from £800 to just over double that. So much to get a couple of quotes – only when you know what you’re doing!!!

All help very much appreciated.