Posted to alt.home.repair
metspitzer metspitzer is offline

Default Why did the breaker trip after a power outage?

On Tue, 08 May 2012 19:22:15 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 5/8/2012 6:09 PM, Metspitzer wrote:

The breakers should be rated to be used as a switch, though.
https://www.google.com/search?q=switching%20duty&ie=...

AFAIK (and the Cutler-Hammer brochure I downloaded from the above link
indicates also) that this UL reqm't only applies to fluorescent lighting

For commercial buildings like retail or office space, I'm sure they are.
I've never bothered to check whether the breakers at the church are
rated or not; the frequency of times they get switched is so low and the

This panel was installed in the mid-60s in a wiring upgrade to the
original (1920s) building in conjunction w/ an expansion project. AFAIK
there's never been a breaker failure in the 50 years since.

That speaks for itself.

I have never bought a swd breaker either, but I would have expected
them to last longer if you are using them as switches.