Posted to alt.home.repair
Arklin K. Arklin K. is offline

Default What is this white scratchy stuff on the sides and bottom of mypool?

On Tue, 08 May 2012 08:58:01 -0700, wrote:

There is nothing wrong with using trichlor tablets.

I think my regimen, once I fix the cracked Jandy valve and wash the pool
walls with the 29% muriatic acid I just bought at Leslies, will be to
take all your advice (although some is conflicting).

0. Replace & replumb the Jandy valve area and wash the pool walls with
HCl.

1. Fill the pool with the well water (high in calcium at 200ppm which is
good for the pool, high in total alkalinity at 150 ppm, and high in
phosphates at 100 ppb).

2. Shock with liquid HASA chlorine from the Sunnyvale-Saratoga road store
in Saratoga, California.

3. Fill the three floaters with trichlor from Costco or Home Depot (most
available chlorine per dollar).

I will need to adjust the pH as needed.
I'll need to figure out what can be done about phosphates.
I may have to bump the cyanuric acid level up to the bare minimum (it
will grow with the trichlor tablets so I don't want to put too much).

And, that should be about it for chemicals (I hope) other than weekly
liquid HASA chlorine shock.