Posted to alt.home.repair
Arklin K. Arklin K. is offline

Default What is this white scratchy stuff on the sides and bottom of mypool?

On Tue, 08 May 2012 08:29:40 -0700, SMS wrote:

1. Do not use tablets
2. Do not buy chlorine at Home Depot
3. Do not buy chemicals at Leslie's.

You should only need three chemicals once the water is balanced, liquid
chlorine, muriatic acid, and phosphate remover. You could also use
non-chlorine based shock, which I know my Costco sells.

Living in the Silicon Valley, as you do, I don't want to waste money on
chemicals (we're already paying through the nose for the sun).

I had my well water tested at Leslies just now and it came up with
phospates at 100 ppb (which is just about the pool limit) and total
alkalinity of 150 ppm which is higher than the suggested range and
calcium hardness of 200 ppm which is in the right range for a pool.

The pH was 7.6 but that will change with chemicals.

I bought a few gallons of the 29% muriatic acid (aka HCl) to scrub the
pool walls down with - and which will be used, as needed, in the pool.

Liquid chlorine I'll get from HASA in that store in Saratoga you
suggested (I have a coupon from the value pack as you suggested ...
normally I chuck that entire envelope - but I leafed through it at your
suggested and it was there as you noted). Also is on the web site.

I'm not sure how to lower phosphates though ...