Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Why did the breaker trip after a power outage?

On 5/8/2012 12:37 PM, wrote:

... One of them was a church, and
they used the breaker panel for turning off all the church lights every
day. In fact they taped the breakers that were not meant to be turned
off (such as the ones to the offices, and ones that had computers or the
furnace or AC). I thought that taping them would defeat their ability
to trip as needed. The thing is that the church actually had light
switches, but they were scattered all over the place, so it was easier
to just flip about 8 breakers to turn everything off.

Other than your count is about six low, you must have been here.
Funny, I don't remember seeing you on Sunday mornings.

And no, the taping doesn't affect trip; the handle doesn't need to move
externally for the breaker to trip (and the tape isn't strong enough or
have enough grip to stop it anyway); it just serves as an indicator of
the "noninterruptible" circuits.