Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default What is this white scratchy stuff on the sides and bottom ofmy pool?

On 5/6/2012 7:19 AM, Arklin K. wrote:
On Sun, 06 May 2012 10:10:15 -0400, Dan Espen wrote:

Still can't figure out why you are draining the pool.
Fill it, turn on the filter. You're done.

It was a green swamp!
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8186117.jpg

I shocked it with $150 in chemicals and ran the two pumps (filter +
cleaner) for days until I finally gave up and figured I'd just replace
the water.

Once I drained it - I figured I'd clean it while I could for maintenance.

Yes, often it's cheaper to drain and refill then to pay for the
chemicals. Especially if you're buying chemicals at Leslie's.

Sometimes you have to drain and refill, i.e., you can't neutralize the
cyanuric acid and you can't reduce the total dissolved solids. There is
now a way to reduce the calcium though.