Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Brother CS-80 sewing machine bobbin winder not winding.

N_Cook wrote:
David Farber wrote in message
I don't know much about sewing machines but this does not seem
like a complicated problem.Here are the pictures of the problem:

http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite.../CS-80-bobbin-
winder.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite.../CS-80-bobbin-
winder-2.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite.../CS-80-bobbin-
winder-3.jpg

The symptom is when you maually engage the bobbin winder assembly
on the top of the machine and press the button to activate it, you
can hear the motor turning inside but the winder does not turn. The
first two photos show the faulty drive assembly removed from the
machine. The last photo shows the assembly loosely installed in the
machine. There is some mysterious black slime (could it just be
lubricant?) which I thought must have been some kind of belt or
idler that started disintegrating from age but the machine is only
about 5 years old. The main belts are in very good condition so it
doesn't make sense to me how this could have happened. If you poke
the slime with a small screwdriver it doesn't make a really big
mess on everything it touches like an old rubber belt does. You
can see in the third picture that the area surrounding the part is
fairly clean. I think that small black mark on the large gear to
the left happened when I removed the part. By the way, the part in
question is mounted on a plate that can be manually shifted up
against the main gear assembly to get it to turn. I searched
around for a parts diagram for this model but no luck. I know some
of you that frequent this board have delved into sewing machine
repairs and was wondering what this part is and how it interfaces
with the drive mechanism to make the winder rotate.

Thanks for your reply.
--

David Farber
Los Osos, CA

I've never sen te like of that, gooey rubber plenty of times.
So all that model will go the same way. Presumably the result of
over-plasticised plastic rather than a rubber formulation as you say
it is non tacky. Whenever that happens with rubber then there seems
to be a contagion that affects all the rubber bands in a piece of
kit, perhaps not the case with what you have there
I would get some small neoprene O rings and stretch 2 or 3 over the
pulley to take up the width , if not enough diameter then 1 or 2
more stretched over that underlying layer.
Then perhaps look out for a proper replacement

I may have to resort to a home made repair as you suggested if the
$4 tire I bought isn't a good fit.

Thanks for your reply.
--

David Farber
Los Osos, CA

And is the "proper" replacement going to be plastic also?
If you burn a bit of the gooed original is it a rubber or plastic
smell?

I assume before the tire morphed into the tacky mess, it was made of

rubber.
The replacement I ordered will also be made of rubber. After a bit more
research, this is the website where I placed my order.

http://www.mysewingmachineparts.com/...er-tire-ring-x
55238051-baby-lock-brother/

I already cleaned off the mess so I don't have any sample left to burn.

The
plastic pulley that supports the tire looks good and does not appear be
deformed in any way.

Thanks for your reply.
--

David Farber
Los Osos, CA

About 2 weeks ago an audio cassette recorder returned for repair. It was
made in 1986 and I repaired it about 15 years ago using a 2 cents O ring,
stretched onto the take-up spool pulley. Not bad for about 3 hours use a
day, someone who never moved away from cassettes . That O ring had
eventually split but no gooey mess, replacement one a bit thicker and a bit
larger diameter