Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] tangerine3@toyotamail.com is offline

Default Why did the breaker trip after a power outage?

On Sun, 6 May 2012 20:59:04 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"Tomsic" wrote in message ...

Your thinking sounds right, but breakers respond in milliseconds so lots
of

things could have been happening on a one-time basis when the power came
back on. It would be interesting to know what the average load is on that
breaker.

Tomsic

Breakers do not always respond in milliseconds. Most common ones work by
heat. The more current that is passed through them, the faster they will
trip.
If several electrronic devices or motors try to start back up at the same
time, the breaker could be overloaded. If they are powered up one at a
time,the breaker may not trip.
Many devices require more current to start than they do a few seconds or so
after they are startred.

I intend to check that breaker for warmth.
The bar owner has to go around every day and push a switch on every
video game, and the jukebox, plus plug in each neon sign. Then do the
whole thing in reverse at closing time. I once asked why they dont just
shut off the breaker. The answer is that the 20(something) year old
girls that often open in the afternoon would not know what to do. Seems
kind of silly to me, but it works for them. There are 4 games, jukebox,
and 3 signs on that circuit. My guess is 5 more signs, 4 more games,
the lights above the 2 pool tables, the outdoor sign switch, and 3
strings of mini-lights above the bar to plug in. Add in the bathroom
lights, the 2 tv sets and they have 27 things to turn on or plug in.....
Kind of silly when a few breakers would do the whole thing, but that
would probably require a costly rewiring job.