Posted to sci.electronics.repair
David Farber David Farber is offline

Default Brother CS-80 sewing machine bobbin winder not winding.

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 6 May 2012 18:42:04 -0700, "David Farber"
wrote:

Brother CS-80
http://www.brother-usa.com/homesewing/modeldetail.aspx?PRODUCTID=CS80

http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...bin-winder.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...n-winder-2.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...n-winder-3.jpg

Yuck. What you have there is a bad case of decomposing rubber. That's
when the vulcanization (sulfur cross links) fail and the rubber
returns to a sticky, gooey, messy blob.

The last photo shows the
assembly loosely installed in the machine.

Ummm... it's totalled and is not going to work. Replace the bobbin
winder assembly.

There is some mysterious black
slime (could it just be lubricant?) which I thought must have been
some kind of belt or idler that started disintegrating from age but
the machine is only about 5 years old.

The black slime is what's left of the rubber bobbin drive. I can't
tell from here what caused the disintegration, but the most likely
cause are aeromatic hydrocarbon solvents found in cleaning solutions.
Furniture stripper, carbeurator cleaner, and such might cause it.
However, if the rubber was properly make, it should be impervious to
solvent attack. However, if the rubber was badly made, it might
happen.

The main belts are in very good condition so it
doesn't make sense to me how this could have happened.

If the other belts were properly cured, they would be impervious to
solvent attack. Looks like the bobbin winder drive wheel wasn't made
so well.

If you poke the slime
with a small screwdriver it doesn't make a really big mess on
everything it touches like an old rubber belt does. You can see in
the third picture that the area surrounding the part is fairly
clean. I think that small black mark on the large gear to the left
happened when I removed the part.

Wrap the mess in cellophane plastic wrap to keep the sticky mess from
migrating. The stuff is very messy and difficult to clean.

By the way,
the part in question is mounted on a plate that can be manually
shifted up against the main gear assembly to get it to turn. I
searched around for a parts diagram for this model but no luck. I
know some of you that frequent this board have delved into sewing
machine repairs and was wondering what this part is and how it
interfaces with the drive mechanism to make the winder rotate.

This looks like the correct assembly. Please verify before ordering:
http://www.vacsew.com/brother-sewing-machine-bobbin-winder-xc3601121.html
http://www.sew4less.com/product_details.php?ProductID=6440

Thanks for your reply.

Hi Jeff,

This machine was never opened before so I'm going to say that the wheel was
made as cheaply as possible. It was stored for a while and maybe sitting
around in the garage may have exposed it to temperature extremes. In any
case, thanks for the great links. That allowed me to search for the rubber
ring
http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/bob...x55238051.aspx
($4 + $3.25 shipping) instead of the whole assembly (~$19 + $11 shipping).

Thanks for your reply.
--

David Farber
Los Osos, CA