Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What is this white scratchy stuff on the sides and bottom of my pool?

On May 6, 4:52*pm, "Arklin K." wrote:
On Sun, 06 May 2012 08:10:28 -0700, wrote:
I hope some of those chemicals were for
other than shocking.

The blue algaecide was about $50
The chlorine shock was about $50 for a 24 pound box at Costco.
The bucket of 3" tablets was about $50 at Costco.
The muriatic acid was about $25 for a few gallons.
The clcium supplement was another $25 at Leslies.
And THEN there was the liquid chlorine from Home Depot at about $50 for
12 gallons.

I've rounded all the numbers for the easy math but that's about $250
already, of which more than half was put into the pool - so that's where
the rough number came from.

Not to mention 24/7 use of two 10-amp 240v 1.65HP pumps to clean the pool
(since one pump can't work alone - this pool requires two due to the
lousy self-cleaning system).

http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...40/8203391.jpg

No way I'd be paying $$$ for algaecide and $$$ for shock.
I put 5 gallons of 12% liquid chlorine into a 48,000 gallon
pool and it kills everything. There are algae that are harder
to kill, but I don't believe the common green one is one of
them. Even if you put 15 gallons of liq chlorine in, I could
do that for $54 and it would have the chlorine up at 20+ ppm
unless the pool is olympic size.