Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default A differenct approach to residential solar power

On May 6, 4:55*pm, wrote:
On Sun, 06 May 2012 10:47:12 -0400, "

wrote:
On Sun, 6 May 2012 05:51:23 -0700 (PDT), Robert Macy
wrote:

On May 6, 1:40*am, harry wrote:
On May 6, 5:57*am, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Sat, 5 May 2012 15:09:00 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

"[The company] designs, installs, and maintains solar-energy systems fitted
to homeowners' roofs. Instead of asking for a big upfront payment, it leases
the systems. As the panels produce power, surplus electricity is sold back
to the local utility. Combined with the savings that come from using less
power from the grid, this will typically reduce the homeowner's electric
bill by enough to offset the lease payments."

http://www.technologyreview.com/energy/40352/?p1=A1

If it works, good for them. *Homeowners are either reluctant or just
don't have the money to pay for a system. *This makes it easier to
start.

Here in New England, I'm a bit skeptical on payback, but in the south,
it may be the way to go.

*I have a PV array but I own it.
The problem with the above arrangement (which you can get over here
too) is you have to be on site in the middle ofthe day (peak
production) to save any electricty.(ie do the washing baking etc). *If
not,you wont save much.
The other problem arises when you want to sell your house. *ie you
need to read the fine print.

We work hard at it and we save about 25% off our bills.
We export about $2200 worth *of electricity annuallly

You save more than we spend! How is that only 25%?

Indeed. *We both heat and cool with electricity and "only" spend something
less than $1700 (five months @ $200 and seven around $100). *$9K in
electricity? *Yikes! *Either harry is lying again, or he's worse than AlBore.

Same here. We use electricity for everything here, heat, cool,
cooking, and water plus a spa and a pool. I don't spend $2500 a year.- Hide quoted text -

Electricity in the UK costs around $0.16/Kwh.
The price paid for electricity generated is $0.70/Kwh
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ara-chl...57627608971673