Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Flowchart to ladder follow-up and good free e-book

On 5/6/2012 5:41 PM, RogerN wrote:
"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

snip

I understand just enough to start to "see" it in my head. This project is
perfect for learning, it's just replacing 8 mechanical relays and 8
switches. No counters, timers or math to do. I plan to build a trainer
and explore more uses and get all my staff interested.

The most complex machine I want to control is for making twisted knot
brushes. I envision a machine that will be programmed for the many, many
variables that are a total BITCH on the mechanical adjustment/relay systems
I use now. I have four of these machines that are hydraulic powered, A
new machine will be servos and will make any size, any twist, any other
variation all with a change of programs and a change of quick change of
fixtures.

Like electric servos with ball screws/linear actuators? At the place I used
to work we had a bender that was programmable. It used a hydraulic cylinder
with LDT position feedback and either a proportional valve or servo valve.
I designed a servo hydraulic press for a GM line that used an Allen Bradley
1771-QB linear positioning module, MTS TempoSonic linear displacement
transducer, and Atchley servo valves. This was high $ stuff but it can be
done for less money. The press for the GM line pressed control arm bushings
in the control arms and measured the position of the parts while being
pressed, the idea was to get more consistent front end alignment.

For the Allen Bradley card, once everything else was set up, you just had to
set a position and tell it to move, the card controlled the valve and read
the position to move the hydraulic cylinder to the set point. You should be
able to set up something to control position with an analog output and scale
the output to inches, mm's, or whatever units you want. It's do-able with
electric servo motors or hydraulics, whatever works best for your
application.

For your application where you change setups, you can use different sets of
data and select the one you want to run. For example if you have 100
variables to define a "recipe" for a certain brush type, then just select
the "recipe" for the type of brush you want to run. If everything is servo
adjustable your changeovers can become simplified.

RogerN

I have the basic machine designed, all electric except for one air
cylinder. One servo twists, another pulls the twister back and a
stepper indexes the disk. The disk holder has two stations so the
operator is loading and unloading one station while the other station is
being twisted. The whole machine will be about 3 cubic feet. My
current machines are 4'x4'x8'. Ain't technology wonderful?