Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default 15-30k RPM 7x12 Mini Lathe

I haven't seen a method using the gears and faceplate arrangement, but I've
seen a simple method mentioned at least several times, which is to make up
an incremental scale to glue around the circumference of a chuck..
definitely a cheap method and good n'uff for certain projects.

--
WB

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

Yeah, there have been a number of clever ideas used to provide
indexing on a a lathe spindle. One interesting one I saw used a set of
three or four fine-toothed gears mounted on a faceplate, allowing a
wide range of symmetrical divisions, located with a spring-loaded pin
that was mounted on the headstock.

At that point it starts to become a gymnastic exercise, but it works,
and it costs a lot less than the regular solutions.

--
Ed Huntress