Posted to alt.home.repair
gonjah gonjah is offline

Default What is this white scratchy stuff on the sides and bottom ofmy pool?

On 5/6/2012 12:02 AM, Arklin K. wrote:
On Sat, 05 May 2012 19:10:55 -0500, gonjah wrote:

Is the plaster rough like rough sandpaper?

Yes. Just like sandpaper. I'm assuming it could be calcium deposits but I
have no idea if that 'is' what it is.

Is there a chemical test?

Nah. What ya got is pitted plaster because the water has leached out the
calcium. It leaves the plaster rough like that. My pool is the same way.
Previous owners didn't take care of the pool at all. The only cure I
know of is a new plaster job. On a pool the size of yours it's probably
going to be expensive too. Right now might be a good time to get
estimates because there are a lot of contractors looking for work.
That's what I ascertained from your info and the picture at least. I
don't know how to clean it up. I guess it depends on if you want to
leave it in the condition it's in.