Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Damn - 5/16-32 TPI Is Not 8x0.75mm Ooffah!

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
I'd used a digital caliper, 5/16-32 screw, and an Enco/India gage, and the
thread count wasn't obvious over the short section of thread.

I've been aware of the close aproximation of 5/16" and 8mm as far as
wrench sizes and fastener diameters, although just not familiar with the
0.75mm and other fine thread pitches (apparently there is also a 0.5mm
pitch but don't think I've encountered that).

The threads mated eventually, after running the tap thru the part
supplemented by
a little pushing and pulling applied to the tap.

I'll make another workpiece when I get the correct taps and use the goofy
one for something else, 'cuz in HSM metalworking, there really isn't much
that needs to be scrapped.. nearly everything can be repurposed.

Sorry, I saw that you did check it after I made my post.

WB

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. ..
Counting the threads in 1/2" is sufficient to tell the two apart: 16 if
it's 32 tpi, 17 if it's 0.75mm
pitch.

Where ever possible I use a thread gage. If it doesn't fit cleanly that
isn't it.