Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default CRT question, partly curiousity, engineering wise

Robert Macy wrote:

Forgot to mention the obvious:
The required Electrostatic deflection voltage goes UP as the HV goes
up, because the electron spends less time in the gradient between the
plates

Right, in the high-end Tek scopes, they had a tapped delay line
inside the CRT, and so the deflection voltage followed the beam as
it shot toward the screen. That should tell you the time spent between
the deflection plates is in the tens of ns!

Anybody out there confirm the following statement?
In contrast, the required Magnetic deflection goes DOWN as the HV goes
up because the electron is moving faster through the field and gets
'bent' more.

Umm, no, I don't think so. But, I'm not a whiz at electrodynamics.

Jon