Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default The thick ****

On May 5, 12:43*am, wrote:
On Fri, 04 May 2012 19:45:00 +0100, Nightjar

wrote:
On 04/05/2012 17:59, harry wrote:
On May 4, 10:53 am, "Dave Liquorice"
*wrote:
On Thu, 3 May 2012 22:44:09 -0700 (PDT), harry wrote:
I'd assume that they would vent the steam and douse the fires
before
that stage. Certainly Jack Phillips, the Titanics radio operator,
was
sending messages that he couldn't read other stations due to steam
and air noise.

How exactly does one do that?
It's on a par with "opening the seacocks"

The boilers would have safety valves which no doubt vent somewhere
safely. Manually open them? Or far more likely have another valve
that opens to a safe vent.
.
* There are safety valves. They would lift if the engines stopped. They
do not vent to the funnels.

They vented up the side of the funnel and would have had easing gear,
which allowed them to be opened manually.

You would also have Boiler blow down valves which normally discharge
the water rather than steam first. In normal circumstance the outlet
is normally below the water line.
Ships chief engineers especially Geordie ones have an implant that
often makes them arrogant self righteous gits. I had a barney with one
when he accused me of not fully filling fresh water boiler feed tanks
on one ship before a voyage. Fortunately we got to the next port just.
Before we left I got him to witness the tank soundings himself,again
it was used rapidly so he checked a few things. Boiler blowdown was
leaking and the cock through the hull was as well. Did he
apologise,did he heck .
However in later years when he moaned about the cost of fresh water
when we had a good deck scrub in Port the retort "well when we throw
it over the side at least we know we are doing it " was enough for him
to scuttle away with a face like thunder.

G.Harman- Hide quoted text -

You are fullof ****. Steam powered ships don't buy water. Do you
think it's like a caravan?

Ships distill sea water for cold water make up. In fact it is
distilled twice for the boilers and one for the crew.

Most of the boiler feedwater comes from the condensers where the
exhaust steam from the engines goes.