Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_5_] Wes[_5_] is offline

Default Damn - 5/16-32 TPI Is Not 8x0.75mm Ooffah!

"Wild_Bill" wrote:

So I have this little spindle that I wanted to make some accessories for,
and checked the size a couple of different ways, and came to the conclusion
that the thread is 5/16-32.

I tapped the hole with a new tap, and was ready to fit the part.. Ahh****,
no Worky.

The thread checks sure looked correct. I wondered how far off a 0.75mm pitch
was, and it isn't 32 TPI but 33.866.

I feel your pain. I have a 5/16-36 tap here for the Hornady lock and load tool for
determining the OAL for seating a given bullets against the lands or more often a bit
behind.

Then there is the tap I *thought* would be the right size to make a holder for my other
rear aperatures for my AR. Wrong tap. Need to figure out correct one.

At least I was 50% on my recent special tap buy, beats zero.

Williams rear aperature sights use a 7/32-40 thread just to add content.

http://www.jtsmach.com is a good place for decently priced special taps.

Wes