Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
MadHatter MadHatter is offline

Default CNC tap in collet

On May 4, 8:48*am, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Fri, 04 May 2012 10:49:53 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

On 2012-05-04, PrecisionmachinisT
wrote:

Thread mill in the cnc then chase by hand with a tap

Thread mills are super expensive.

Single-row thread mills are much less expensive, and can be used over a
range of thread pitches. *If this job only requires a few parts, that's
what I'd do. *Thread milling is an awesome process, and great for things
you don't need a lot of.

Jon

It's great especially for applications where the load on a
conventional tap is high enough to risk breaking a lot of taps. In
superalloys and some other tough or gummy alloys, it's much more
practical than conventional tapping.

--
Ed Huntress

I have limited experience thread milling. It's worked well when I've
occasionally used it. But I did want to mention that OSG has taps
that work very well in superalloys.