Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Smoke Testing My New Ridge Vent

On May 4, 1:18*pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On May 4, 12:52*pm, "
wrote:

On May 4, 8:04*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm looking for opinions about what I'm seeing when I smoke test my new
ridge and soffit vents.

I had my roof replaced and a ridge vent was installed. I also had full
soffits vents cut and then covered with perforated vinyl. My soffits are
about 6" wide, so there's about 4" of perforated vinyl showing.

The roof is framed such that I have about 3 feet of slanted ceilings in
the bedrooms, and the crawlspace attic itself is about 4 feet from the
top of the ceilings joists to the rim.

There is bat insulation on the floor of the ceiling that extends part
way down the rafter bays towards the soffit. When I pull the insulation
out of the rafter bays, I can see light from the newly cut soffit vents.
The contractor said that the soffits themselves are free of insulation.