Andrew

Default Partially Blocked Flue? Please Comment On Pic...

In article , tarquinlinbin
writes
On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 00:04:00 -0000, "MR" no-email-address wrote:

I'm appealing for some help from anyone who has had experience with flue's
going from a fire (in living room) up through into attic, and then
eventually through the roof. I have just had a fire fitted and the 'smoke
test' worked fine but after the install the flue is not 'pulling' or sucking
up enough and so the install is not complete. My fitter has tried fitting a
flue extension kit with unfortunately the same results. The fitter concede
I must have a blocked flue and recommended an electric fire or an electric
power-flue directly behind the fire in living room (which is noisy
incidentally).

It appears that you have a pre-cast concrete block flue or similar.

First things first,check the makers instructions for the fire and see
if it is suitable for a pre cast flue?

YES ?

did you have a fire fitted to it and did it work ok before??

This is a common problem with this flue type and rodding out any
cement "snots" is a common fix. Access is a problem though. I have
done flue inspections using a remote camera in this sort of situation
before.

A fan powered flue assistance device is probably a no in this
situation.

joe

Something is bothering me about photo 1. It looks to me as if the inside
of the termination flue block slopes up and away from the front lip.
This suggests to me that the block is upside down !!. Can you actually
see *down* into the flue blocks below the termination one ?. I.e.
looking down towards the fire ?.
--
Andrew D