Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default The thick ****

Everything reflects electromagnetic waves; it's a matter of degree.
Metal ships gave the longest range.

I can't find a figure for the Radar Cross Section of icebergs, but
there will be one, and it's quite possible that against such a target
the Huelsmeyer device might have given superior performance to the
lookouts.

Let's crunch some numbers.

The radar range equation trades range and RCS, all other factors
remaining the same for any one installation. But range is at the
inverse fourth power, while RCS is a straight factor.

If the RCS of the iceberg was 1/1000th that of a ship (and I believe
it may be more than that) then the detection range would be reduced to
533m for the original Huelsmeyer device, or 1778m for the improved
device, which doubtless the Titanic would have been carrying.

Yes but due to the very irregular shape of the berg and the scatter from
that?. I'd expect his receiver may well not been sensitive enough but
we'll never know now, and seeing that no one had quite cottoned on to
the potential that radio had for safety.. I doubt radar would have been
in their mindset...

Evidence suggests that the lookouts saw the iceberg at about 500m, and
at the speed it was travelling Titanic could come to a stop in 850m.

Terry Fields

Which was the stupid thing they we're doing. Note the Carpathia coming
to the rescue dodging the bregs whilst the Titanic was warned it carried
on at a too high rate of knots.

Who was to blame?, only the one man the Captain Mr Smith;!...
--
Tony Sayer