Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default The thick ****

On May 2, 7:35*pm, Terry Casey wrote:
In article ,
says...

hugh wrote:

The Titanics initial design unsinkability was destroyed by removing
bulkheads to create a massive uninterrupted deck.

I'll just clarify that I don't think the design was "unsinkable" (unlike,
say, a foam filled canoe) - just "very good". It did hold up for quite a
while despite having some bloody big holes ripped in it...

Yes, but, as Hugh says, it differed from the original design because it
was felt that the First Class passengers wouldn't appreciate the
bulkheads intruding into 'their' space.

Thus the water was able to flow over the tops of the bulkheads and that
is why she sank.

So, the answer to WHO sank the Titanic is the Marketing Department of
the White Star Line ...

--

Terry

The Britannic (sister ship) which had all the improvements fitted sank
in less than an hour.
Some water tight doors could not be closed and portholes had been left
open.