Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Easter Mike Easter is offline

Default Fluorescent troubleshooting

JIMMIE wrote:

I hadnt used the work bench in my garage for years after building a
shop so when I tried the light over the bench the other day it worked
about like yours. Flourescents are usually troubleshoot by the
replace and see method. Not having any replacement parts I took off
to the local hdwr store and came back with two new fixtures and
lights for cheaper than I could buy parts.

How I came to believe I could replace a ballast to fix a fluorescent:

Once upon a time my 20 y/o owned office had a false ceiling and lots
and lots of 4 bulb ceiling lights that I was responsible for unless I
wanted to call an electrician whenever a light bulb wasn't working, and
I bought fluorescent bulbs by the boxful. In fact, one of those old
boxes is what I'm using now.

Consequently over the years sometimes it was a ballast instead of a bulb
or two, so I became 'accustomed' to occasionally removing and replacing
a ballast without any testing or diagnostic efforts because replacing a
fixture for a bad ballast certainly wasn't practical and it always
worked out.

'All of a sudden' I'm mystified by fluorescent madness.

--
Mike Easter