Posted to alt.home.repair
Bryan Scholtes Bryan Scholtes is offline

Default Water proofing

On May 3, 1:19*pm, Metspitzer wrote:
My basement has started leaking water when it rains hard. *My sister
has moved into the basement and I would like to have someone out to
see about stopping the leak.

Is there any way to tell what is causing the leak without having to
wait for a heavy rain?

Basements are not waterproof.

Water leaks are usually caused by poor gutter downspout placement, as
well as poor grading of the soil toward the foundation.

Google is your friend. Lots of info about leaky basements.

In my case, I had no gutters and the basement always leaked. I needed
to install gutters and have the downspouts at least 10 feet away from
the foundation. Also, I spent $700 having my soil re-graded. Fine
gravel was dumped around the foundation and sloped away. The 2 inches
of topsoil was added and grass re-planted.

No plants closer than 10 feet to the foundation should be watered. You
want all of that as dry as possible.