Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default The end of incandescent bulbs?

"Ian Field" wrote in message

dh@. wrote in message ...
I heard that all incandescent bulbs will quit being produced and illegal
to sell
in 2013. Is that true? I've also heard that some bulbs like the Par 38
outdoor
spots and floods might continue to be available. Is that true? Someone
said they
thought pretty much all halogen bulbs will still be available... Can
someone
there tell me what the truth actually is? What about entertainment bulbs,
like
Par 64s and 56s, and aircraft landing lights...???

On a recent trip to the supermarket I saw offerings of 20W & 70W halogen
capsules enclosed in a regular sized glass globe with a regular brass cap.

AFAIK ar least some types of halogen lamp are exempt.

I use those, and very good they are too. At least having a frosted envelope,
they produce a nice diffuse light, unlike the clear types, which are pretty
much all you can get in a 'standard' incandescent now here in the UK. One of
the stores that I do work for, stocks a nifty 'DIY' bulb where you buy an
adaptor base once, and an appropriate shaped frosted envelope once, and a
replaceable halogen capsule bulb. That way you can 'construct' your own
standard or golf ball or candle or whatever other shapes they do, bulb. Then
when it fails, you just unscrew the outer envelope, replace the capsule bulb
inside, and screw the outer envelope back on.

These, and the commercially available type mentioned above by Ian, are great
where you have a light fitting that exposes the bulb. I have three such
lampshades (actually crystal teardrops) and they look god-awful if you put
an ecobollox CFL in them ...

Arfa