Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default The end of incandescent bulbs?

I heard that all incandescent bulbs will quit being produced and illegal to sell
in 2013. Is that true? I've also heard that some bulbs like the Par 38 outdoor
spots and floods might continue to be available. Is that true? Someone said they
thought pretty much all halogen bulbs will still be available... Can someone
there tell me what the truth actually is? What about entertainment bulbs, like
Par 64s and 56s, and aircraft landing lights...???

Additional datum: the language in the energy-efficiency bill in
question states:

`(D) GENERAL SERVICE INCANDESCENT LAMP.-
`(i) IN GENERAL.-The term general service
incandescent lamp' means a standard incandescent or
halogen type lamp that-
(I) is intended for general service applications;
(II) has a medium screw base;
(III) has a lumen range of not less than 310 lumens and not
more than 2,600 lumens; and
(IV) is capable of being operated at a voltage range at
least partially within 110 and 130 volts

There are a boatload of explicit exclusions, including reflector lamps
(which I believe would thus exclude outdoor par and spot bulbs),
appliance lamps, rough- and vibration-service lamps, colored lamps,
etc.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO