Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default 1960 fork lift redux

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
Larry fired this volley in
:

I wonder how many of those parts are manufacturable by the home
machinist. Probably a pretty low number.

The engine, et. al., and tranny are probably not, nor easily replaceable,
but they are tough and built to last forever.

Most of the top-end parts like the carb kits and ignition parts are still
being made. The chassis/body/weight-bustle isn't going to fail. All the
hydraulics and mast components could be duplicated by any competent
metalworker. The hydraulic pump is a standard high-volume heavy-duty
truck power steering pump, still available.

Bearings, axles, etc, are standard items that were standard then, and are
still so now. 'Git 'em at NAPA.

Yup. You don't have to make all your replacement
parts. I fixed the shifter on a pal's forklift
with a short length of all-thread, a matching
coupler and pair of jam nuts and lock washers.
I explained that it was a temporary fix until he
could get the properly inspected and certified
factory linkage.

He just smirked at me and drove off.
I wonder what *that* meant?

--Winston