Posted to alt.home.repair
gonjah[_2_] gonjah[_2_] is offline

Default Sewer vent question

On 5/2/2012 1:20 PM, HeyBub wrote:
gonjah wrote:
My main bathroom started smelling like urine a couple of days ago so I
went on the roof and flushed out the sewer vent (w/o a bladder) with
the garden hose but it still smells. I've tried disinfecting
everything and taking everything out of the bathroom that isn't
nailed down. The base of the toilet is sealed off with silicone and
the holes where it's screwed down are sealed too.

Question: On average, how often should sewer vents be cleaned out
with a sewer rooter? I've here 5 years and I haven't had it done yet.
It's a slab house.

Approximately never.

Maybe twice as often in extreme cases.

Wild ass guess - you might try flusing something with a distinctive, but not
too bad, smell: Oil of cinnamon, gasoline, perfume, and see if you detect
the odor thereafter. If so, the toilet is the culprit. Likewise with the
tub/shower.

Not a bad idea but I'm thinking I know the problem now and he's about 3'
tall.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...361783_n.jp g