Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default HOAs: "No solar panels for you"

On 05/02/12 10:20 am, Nate Nagel wrote:

In my case it's more that the HOAs expect you to be a professional sort
- which I am - but don't allow you to do normal everyday stuff like work
on a project car in your own driveway/garage, etc.

I actually bought a pickup truck from a coworker whose neighbor kind of
pressed the deal by asking "when are you going to do something about
that unsightly vehicle" presumably with a straight face. I don't think I
could ever live with neighbors like that. (it wasn't that bad, really,
it's just a plain white Ford pickup. I don't love it, but I don't think
it's that much of an eyesore, either.)

I've read of two cases concerning HOAs and motor vehicles:

1. Resident got cited for changing the windshield wipers while the car
was standing in the driveway.

2. Guy bought used car and parked it in his driveway, took off old
plates, and went to the DMV (or whatever it's called there) to
re-register it and get new plates. Arrived back home with new plates to
find that his car had been towed away -- "A vehicle without plates is an
undriveable vehicle, and undriveable vehicles are prohibited by the HOA
rules from being left where they may be seen."

Perce