Posted to sci.electronics.repair
chuck chuck is offline

Default CRT question, partly curiousity, engineering wise

On Wed, 2 May 2012 01:26:50 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

If you want to take a look at a truly *bizarre* video projection
technique, find out how an Eidophor works. Or worked; I really
don't know if they're in business these days. Think about vacuum
pumps, rotating oil-covered mirrors, Schlerin optical systems,
ten-kilowatt xenon short-arc lamps, and little air-locks for
replacing the filaments while in operation, all in one box. Times
three, of course, for color.

Actually, I think Eidophor color used a rotating wheel.

The Eidophor system is more than 50 years old. GE glommed onto it back in
the 70s (I believe), and produced a very compact projection system (far
smaller than the original), though I don't know if it was commercially
successful. GE also designed a video recording system -- "photoplastic
recording" -- that froze the Eidophor ripples on a moving strip of plastic.
It was never commercialized.

GE, just before they closed their own television factories in the mid
80s, planned to bring out a home rear projection television using the
oil technology. The techs, at a training seminar for one of their
other chassises, were told that we should sign up for a training
session 6 months hence. The Roanoke factory was closed before the
seminar was scheduled. Chuck-