Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 1960 fork lift redux

dpb fired this volley in news:jnrq09$de8$2
@speranza.aioe.org:

There are plenty of boneyards around here even in a (relatively)
sparsely populated area; can't imagine there aren't a zillion in/around
Cook County that could get virtually any part of any forklift you could
imagine.

I called the guy I got this from to ask a couple of questions, and asked
about parts.

He told me that "they aren't exactly 'on the shelf' but with three or
four phone calls, I can get any part for that lift you need."

I believe him, because this was well after the sale, and he wasn't trying
to impress me, since I was already happy with what I got for the money.

I also know (because I have the ID ticket) that Clark made a couple of
hundred-thousand of these lifts, identical in design except for a few
electrical details, and the vendors of the specific parts. So there are
lots of "bones" to pick over.

Besides, Ig. I make parts and I can fix most anything. So it's more a
labor of love and admiration for the old, tough machines than a struggle
to maintain. That 4-cyl "Connie" will probably never die at the loads it
works under.

LLoyd