Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The thick ****

On May 1, 9:06*am, "Muddymike" wrote:
On 30/04/2012 23:04, Tim Streater wrote:

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:

In article , ARWadsworth adamwadsworth@blue
yonder.co.uk scribeth thus
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17901615

watch from 56 seconds onwards

Perhaps he thinks he's got that Lotus that James Bond had that worked
underwater.

Some people just haven't a clue on how to drive in a flood;(...

First gear and rev it to stop water going up the exhaust. Anything else?

Drive slowly. It stops the bow wave getting too large and gives you a
chance to stop if it looks as though the water is getting too deep. Also,
know where your water intake is, or the fording depth of the vehicle, if
published. I've seen engines wrecked by sucking in water and try to
compress it. I've also watched an early Mini float downstream while
crossing a ford - fortunately into a barrier alongside the ford.

The rules for fording a-
Lowest gear.
High revs (even if this requires slipping the clutch)
Forward pace fast enough to hold an un-broken bow wave.

On older vehicles removing the fan belt helps.

And yes, a very sound knowledge of where your air intake and any vital
electronics are located.

I don;t know much about cars but with most modern cars isn;t teh
eelctrics pretty vital
to everything.

Mike