Posted to alt.home.repair
AJL AJL is offline

Default HOAs: "No solar panels for you"

On Tue, 1 May 2012 17:01:01 -0500, "HeyBub"
wrote:

AJL wrote:

Come to Phoenix. Large areas are HOA free. I lived in one for 30+
years (Maryvale for anyone familiar with the area). And as I
previously said, you can mostly tell the HOA-free areas by just
looking at them. Trouble is many people want to have their cake (be
HOA-free) and to eat it too (live in a nice well kept up
neighborhood). In my experience that seldom seems to happen...

Those neighborhoods in your town which are obviously not HOA supervised are
run exactly as the people in the neighborhood want them run. If you like
living next door to a bodega or a tire-repair shop, you'll gravitate to
locations where you have all those types of conveniences.

It's not quite that bad since there are still zoning regulations in
the HOA free areas. They are usually enforced by complaint though
there are zoning officers that roam when they're not busy. First is
usually a warning and then if there is no compliance, a citation.
Phoenix makes it easy, you can make a zoning complaint by phone, net,
or text.

some rascal in your unregulated area tries to take
advantage by opening a mini-abattoir. In that case, several options are
available to you, few of them legal but all of them effective.

Just remember that if you decide to self-enforce, and you live in the
same neighborhood, turn about may be fair (foul?) play...