Posted to alt.home.repair
AJL AJL is offline

Default Fluorescent troubleshooting

On Tue, 1 May 2012 05:46:17 -0700 (PDT), Limp Arbor
wrote:

On May 1, 12:35*am, AJL wrote:

Why mess with it? A whole new complete 2 tube fixture is under US$20
(at least it is at my local Lowes). It's an easy installation, and
only 2 wires to mess with. In my case I modernized with a nicer
looking fixture and the new slimmer instant on tubes.- Hide quoted text -

I thought fluorescent fixtures had to have a good ground to work
properly.

It will work just fine with just 2 wires (no ground). My last house
was wired in the 50's (with no ground wires) so I just ignored the
ground wire on the fixtures I replaced.

wouldn't that be 3 wires?

But you're right in modern houses it's wise to use the ground wire for
safeties sake. So I stand corrected at 3 wires. But still that has to
be easier than trying to match wires on a very old balun.