Posted to alt.home.repair
RonB[_2_] RonB[_2_] is offline

Default Toro mowers

On May 1, 8:07*am, "Steve B" wrote:
I was given a Toro mower yesterday, saying that it needed a carb kit. *I am
familiar with working on these. *I have not touched it yet.

What is everyone's opinion of Toro mowers and their equipment? *I like the
Hondas I have. *They start easily and run well.

Never had a Toro, so just wanted to check.

Steve

I have owned three Toros, two self propelled walk behinds and one
small garden tractor/mower. From a quality and durability standpoint
they were all pretty good. In fact the tractor was quiet good.

HOWEVER - when I did start repairing things parts cost was very high.
I was also using standard Briggs powered equipment at the time and
carburetor replacement cost was about 3-4X the cost of a Briggs carb.
I replaced a steering tie rod on the tractor at a part cost of about
$50 and this was 20 years ago. About four years ago I bought a 23 HP
John Deere tractor/mower half expecting the same kind of cost mark up
but it has really been very reasonable. Besides, if you buy a Deere
at a dealer (vs big-box) the keep you on a discount list - at least
the local guy does.

RonB