Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default White spirit won't burn?

Lieutenant Scott wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Davey wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Davey wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote
newshound wrote
Lieutenant Scott wrote

I was going to burn down some tree stumps aided by some petrol
to get it going. Having a bottle of white spirit to hand I
thought I'd use that instead of going to the garage to get
petrol. It won't light!!!!

This is the exact product, and it says flammable on the side.
But it bloody well isn't.

http://www.bartoline.co.uk/products_...vent%20Ra nge

Sorted.

I bought a jerry can of petrol and tried burning them, but they
kept going out. So I took the easy option.

To my neighbour's horror, I reversed the car into the back
garden, tied the tree stumps to the towbar, and yanked them out
of the ground. She was particularly concerned that my car (or
flying tree stump) was aiming directly for her kitchen window.
She took the dog for a walk while I did it :-)

Glad it's sorted. Can't have been much of a tree stump in that
case, though (unless it was very rotten below ground). When it's
the other way round, a small tree can stop a surprisingly fast
or heavy vehicle.

It's a 1.9 turbo diesel, and I took a good run at it. Snapped a
tow rope and a chain before getting all 10 out. Automatic gearbox
helps too.

Remind me not to buy a car from you.

You seem to be under the mistaken idea that a car can't pull
something that hard. Think how tough a towbar and attachments has to
be to pull a caravan safely.

There is a big difference between towing something at a reasonable
speed, and jerking something that doesn't want to move. Overzealous
letting out of a clutch has been known to twist half-shafts and strip
teeth from gears.

It doesn't have a clutch, its an automatic.

Manual gearboxes should have been disposed of years ago.

They were, and we made new ones to replace the ones we disposed of.