Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default Hardwood floor install questions

Oren wrote:
On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 10:33:15 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

I'll agree with the idea of the flooring boards sliding on paper
better, vs sliding on felt.

When laying the felt, align the long seams and overlap the end seams
(if you have end seams), then cut through both end seams with a box
knife, so that the end seams' edges match perfectly. That will be
easier than trying to align the long seams and the end seams at the
same time, as you roll out the felt. You may not have end seams,
since your area to be covered is relatively small. It shouldn't be
too hard to align long seams.

Sonny

I agree with the OP and you.

Thanks.

Now. How much does the installer want?

The area to be done is 460 square feet -- which includes a living room, 2
small bedrooms, and 2 closets.

One hardwood floor company looked at it a while back before I had decided
what I was going to do and they said that if I buy the materials, the cost
for them to do the installation would be $700.

Two other people that I know said what the companies that they use charge
for installation only. One company charges $1.30 a square foot and the
other company charges $1.55 a square foot. I am pretty sure that both
companies said those were their prices for a minimum of 500 square feet.
So, my guess is they will say about $650 ($1.30 times 500 sq. ft.) and $775
($1.55 times 500 sq. ft.) respectively.

I actually have a contractor person that I use on an ongoing basis who could
do the installation. I pay him on a time and materials basis for most jobs.
He and his brother installed the new hardwood floor in the apartment below
this one and it came out fine. I can't remember for sure, but I think it
took them about 2 days to do it from start to finish. With this apartment,
I am thinking of paying a hardwood flooring company that almost exclusively
does hardwood floor installations every day to do this installation. The
reason is that I would just like to see exactly how they do it, how they
figure out the transitions from room to room so that everything lines up
correctly, etc. And, I would probably have my person there either helping
or doing other things in the apartment in the kitchen and bath so he can see
and learn whatever tricks of the trade the regular hardwood floor installers
use.

I am not sure how long it would take for a hardwood flooring company to do
the installation, but my guess is that with two people doing the work they
could probably finish it in one day. Does that sound about right?